As an academic researcher, you’re probably comfortable with the idea of communicating your research at a conference or in a journal paper. But what about reaching a wider audience, can you pick out popular interest stories from your research, and does the prospect of being interviewed by a newspaper journalist (or on TV) make you break out in a cold sweat?
Simon Crisp, a former journalist and current MA student in ADM, is currently running a series of media insight training events designed to help early-career academics identify media opportunities and make the most of them by having confidence when dealing with the press.
Offering a media training introduction, the upcoming sessions will cover topics including:
– Identifying news stories from your research
– How to build relationships with journalists
– Practice press interviews about your research
– Communicating academic research without jargon
– How to avoid getting mis-quoted
The registration for this event has now closed, but keep an eye out for opportunities in the next academic year.